Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Best of Times, The Worst of Times...

Write about a time in your life, or 2 separate times that are "The Best of Times" and "The Worst of Times"

Well, probably the best of times has been having a daughter. When I was younger, I wanted 10 kids, but as I got older, settled for 1 and that was fine. I remember waking up (I had a C-Section), and when they told me it was a girl I was ecstatic. I made her cute filly dresses, put bows in her hair, dressed her up, she was such a cutie. She's now 21, and these are even better times now, now that she's basically grown up, very mature and trying to find her way in the world. She surprises me at the grown up attitude she has, the independent nature she has, the ability to not put up with a bunch of crap from anyone while still being polite. I love her terribly and am extremely proud of her.

The worst of times deals with her as well, though not her fault. When I had the C-section, about a week after I went home, I found a small bruise, called the doctor, he had me come to the office, and found a heap of gangrene in my stomach from the operation. They had me in surgery within half an hour, a 4 hour surgery, cut me from hip to hip, then left my stomach open for 10 days so it would heal from the inside out. They had to un-pack then re-pack my stomach every 8 hours, and they could not give me enough medicine to take the pain away. I could not see my daughter for almost a week, could no longer breast feed her, and was so scared, not only for me, but for her. I had 2 more operations, then got to go home for a bit. It took me 1-1/2 years until I had no more nightmares. When I was in the hospital all I could think about was a friend I went to high school with 30 years prior, who had died from gangrene from a C-section, and thought I was going to follow in her footsteps. Thank God, that did not happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment